Temporary Registration

If you are not registered with a doctor but need to see one, you can receive emergency treatment from any GP surgery.


If you need treatment for more than 14 days you will need to register with that GP surgery as a temporary or permanent patient.


To register as a temporary resident in England, use Find services to find GP surgeries near to your place of residence.


The surgery will ask you to complete a Temporary services form GMS3 


You can register as a temporary resident if you plan to live near the GP surgery for up to three months.


After three months you will have to apply to register with that surgery as a permanent resident.


You can register temporarily with a GP while away from home for work, study or holiday. You'll still remain registered with your permanent GP.


Your temporary GP will pass details of any treatment you have to your GP, who will add the information to your medical records.


If your application to become a temporary patient is refused, you can still receive emergency treatment for up to 14 days.

pdfDownload the Temporary Resident Registration Form

You can find more information here:


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website